www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Douglas Reay <doug...@scientia.com>
Subject Re: pending/3465: apache as a service under windows nt - error 2186
Date Tue, 01 Dec 1998 10:50:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-windows/3465; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Douglas Reay <douglas@scientia.com>
To: marc@apache.org
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: pending/3465: apache as a service under windows nt - error
  2186
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 10:36:40 +0000

 At 06:03 PM 11/30/98 +0000, marc@apache.org wrote:

 > Obviously, Apache has no way to magically know what config
 > file you want it to use.  There is a registry key described
 > quite clearly in http://www.apache.org/docs/windows.html
 > that lets you specify the server root directory and which is
 > automatically created when you install it using the
 > binary installation.

 Hi Mark,

 Thanks for your reply.

 Yes, that page does indeed mention:
 	HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Apache Group\Apache\1.3.1\ServerRoot

 It also goes on to say:
 	You can not run two invocations of Apache on Windows simultaneously.

 I was hoping to run two invocations of Apache on two different machines,
 but from the same server root, using a shared file system and using the
 -f directive to give each server a different httpd.conf within a single
 conf/ directory, which does work if you run apache as an application.

 Under WinNT4 / control panel / services there is a Startup Parameters
 box which I had somewhat optimistically hoped might allow the -f to be
 passed.  When that failed, I tried adding the -f to the various entries
 in the registry.  If however you say that Apache will only check the
 ServerRoot registry entry, and not allow more precise indication of
 which conf file to use beyond the directory it is in, then I shall live
 with that. :-)

 ...or try to.  It appears that even if I rename try05-httpd.conf to
 httpd.conf and set my registry keys to:

   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache Group\Apache\1.3.1\
     ServerRoot = "c:/freesoft/package/apache"
   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Apache\
     ImagePath = "C:\FreeSoft\package\apache\Apache.exe"

 I still get the problem:

   C:\FreeSoft\package\apache>net start apache
   The service is not responding to the control function.

   More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2186.

   C:\FreeSoft\package\apache>NET HELPMSG 2186

   The service is not responding to the control function.

   EXPLANATION

   The service cannot run your command at this time.

   ACTION

   Try the command again later.

   If the problem persists, stop and restart the service.

   However, if the problem continues after you have restarted the service, report
   the problem. Be sure to include the name of the service and the command that
   was refused, to technical support.

 Starting the same thing as an application:

   C:\FreeSoft\package\apache>C:\FreeSoft\package\apache\Apache.exe -d c:/freesoft/package/apache

   Apache/1.3.1 (Win32)

 continues to work fine.

 Yours mystified,

 Douglas Reay