www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@c2.net>
Subject Re: mod_negotiation/3447: Accept-Encoding headers not used in mod_negotiation
Date Sat, 28 Nov 1998 18:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_negotiation/3447; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Paul Sutton <paul@c2.net>
To: Paul Ausbeck <paula@alumni.cse.ucsc.edu>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: mod_negotiation/3447: Accept-Encoding headers not used in
 mod_negotiation
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 18:07:12 +0000 (GMT)

 On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Paul Ausbeck wrote:
 > Since Navigator 4.5 supports gzip compression and 4.04 does not, that
 > indicated that Netscape had done some recent work on compression. Sure
 > enough, they have also done some work on the apache server as well. It
 > doesn't involve mod_negotiation, however. They did a new module. The
 > details are at:
 >
 > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/apache/gzip/
 >
 > Does anyone know when an official version of apache will be available
 > that supports compression via any means?

 How does this differ from using mod_negotiation and negotiating between a
 compressed and non-compressed variant? All this module does is append .gz
 to the requested filename, and if it exists and A-E: contains "gzip",
 redirects to this new filename. That is exactly what mod_negotiation does,
 except that mod_negotiation does this in a very general (not specific to
 gzip, and not specific to negotiating on encoding).

 This PR points out an artifact of mod_negotiation's current algorithm
 which means it will actually prefer unencoded versions, but that will be
 fixed for the next release.

 Incidently looking at the gzip-compression module code, I'm not convinced
 it is correct. For example, if the request is HEAD it gives up (DECLINEs)
 before looking for the compressed version of the file, so you'll get
 different header response from a HEAD compared to a GET, for the same file
 if it exists in an acceptable compressed format.

 Paul
 --
 Paul Sutton, C2Net Europe                    http://www.eu.c2.net/~paul/
 Editor, Apache Week .. the latest Apache news http://www.apacheweek.com/