www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Kim Bisgaard <...@dmi.min.dk>
Subject Re: general/3421: Directory name redirects does not use "ServerName" with "UseCanonicalName=on"
Date Mon, 23 Nov 1998 09:40:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/3421; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kim Bisgaard <kib@dmi.min.dk>
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: general/3421: Directory name redirects does not use "ServerName" with "UseCanonicalName=on"
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:33:56 +0100

      If you have one IP, as clearly stated in the vhost docs, then the main
      server will not be used, and the first vhost for that IP will be used for
      all nonmatching vhosts.  Normally, one of the few places where the
      ServerName is used is in sending redirects, so it isn't suprising you
      don't see it elsewhere.  You need to fix your vhost configs so that the
      proper servername is in the vhost that is being used, or add another name
      based vhost at the start if you want that to be used for requests that
      don't match one of the two existing ones.

 Hi, I have now changed my config following your guidelines, and it works! Thanks!
 I expected ServerName to carry into vhost sections - but apparently it was the
 NameVirtualHost that did.

 I will probably try to add a vhost _default_ to grap these cases.

 About name-based vhosts - you are right that the doc states that, but if you look
 under the doc. of <VirtualHost> you will see the following sentence:

      The special name _default_ can be specified in which case this virtual host will match
any IP address that is
      not explicitly listed in another virtual host. In the absence of any _default_ virtual
host the "main" server
      config, consisting of all those definitions outside any VirtualHost section, is used
when no match occurs.

 Thanks again!

 --
 Kim Bisgaard

 Oersted Science Data Center
 Solar-Terrestrial Physics Division           Phone: +45 3915 7495 (direct)
 Danish Meteorological Institute              Fax: +45 3915 7460 (division)
 http://www.dmi.dk/solar-terrestrial/ -- Division homepage
 http://www.dmi.dk/projects/oersted/  -- Oersted Satellite
 http://www.dmi.dk/projects/wdcc1/    -- WDC C1 for geo-magnetism
   These are our official Web addresses - ignore any change in the server name
   which may occur while browsing this site. Unfortunately, these pages are
   not reachable via links from the main institute pages - http://www.dmi.dk