www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Rob Pinciuc <r...@wincom.net>
Subject mod_include/3420: "#include virtual" stopped working, but "#exec cgi" still works
Date Wed, 18 Nov 1998 21:43:43 GMT

>Number:         3420
>Category:       mod_include
>Synopsis:       "#include virtual" stopped working, but "#exec cgi" still works
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        1.3.3
>Environment:
general : 256MB RAM, Solaris 2.5.1, 2.5.1 Recommended patch cluster, gcc 2.8.1, SSLeay 0.9.0b,

uname -a: SunOS blizzard 5.5.1 Generic_103640-17 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-5
Server  : Apache/1.3.3 Ben-SSL/1.28 (Unix)
After Apache (httpsd) had been running for quite some time, probably around
a month, the mod_include seemed to fail, giving:

messages in the web page where "#include virtual" SSIs were located.  However,
the "#exec cgi" directives still functioned correctly.

There were no changes made to the server configuration files, with the
exception of periodically adding new VirtualHost entries and then "gracefully"
restarting with "apachectl".

The includes functioned perfectly fine and then (as annoying as this sounds)
began to fail "all of a sudden".

The error_log shows this:

: [Wed Nov 18 13:21:25 1998] [error] [client 209.216.151.45] unable to include "/i
: ncludes/home.foot.html" in parsed file /usr/local/apache/share/htdocs/index.html
: [Wed Nov 18 13:21:29 1998] [error] [client 209.216.151.45] (2)No such file or di
: rectory: file permissions deny server access: /usr/local/apache/share/htdocs/inc
: ludes/pics.html

I can assure you that the permissions on the files did not spontaneously change,
and I verified this by looking at the files manually.

I tried a "graceful" restart of Apache, but to no avail.  In fact, this made
the problem worse.  When viewing the "homepage" (www.wincom.net), I then got
the familiar "403 Forbidden" error.

After completely stopping httpsd, then starting it, all was well--no trace of a
problem.

>How-To-Repeat:
No can do... this was our production web server and it had to be fixed
immediately.
>Fix:
apachectl stop
apachectl start