www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: os-windows/3402: CGI output is always buffered
Date Sat, 14 Nov 1998 22:40:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-windows/3402; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: uz@musoftware.de
Cc: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: Re: os-windows/3402: CGI output is always buffered
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 14:32:23 -0800 (PST)

 On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Ullrich von Bassewitz wrote:

 > > Synopsis: CGI output is always buffered
 > >
 > > State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
 > > State-Changed-By: marc
 > > State-Changed-When: Sat Nov 14 12:49:42 PST 1998
 > > State-Changed-Why:
 > > Yes, this is a known issue already being tracked and there are
 > > several other PRs on this.
 >
 > Sorry, I've checked the database but didn't find the relevant entries.
 >
 > > Win32 doesn't support various features which Apache currently
 > > needs to do unbuffered CGI so, until someone figures out another
 > > way to implement that on Win32, it won't support unbuffered
 > > CGI.
 >
 > I don't know if I'm allowed to offer a solution here, but I've had a quick

 Of course.

 > look at the apache code (ap_bnonblock) and the problem seems rather easy to
 > solve. Windows has a function to make a socket handle non-blocking, we're
 > using this function in our own (C++) socket library. You have to use a ioctl
 > instead of fcntl. Here is some code straight from our socket library that
 > shows how to use the functions:

 Unfortunately, the problem is that the thing we need to have nonblocking
 isn't a socket.  We need nonblocking reads from the CGI.  Because
 Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, decided that having one type
 of file descriptor would be silly so they should have a different type
 for each thing you could want to do... sigh.