www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: mod_cern_meta/3366: I am getting this - (11)Resource temporarily unavailable: couldn't spawn child process - on very busy servers
Date Mon, 09 Nov 1998 01:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_cern_meta/3366; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Kevin Goddard <draddog@draddog.com>
Cc: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: Re: mod_cern_meta/3366: I am getting this - (11)Resource temporarily
 unavailable: couldn't spawn child process - on very busy servers
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 17:02:02 -0800 (PST)

 On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Kevin Goddard wrote:

 > >How many processes are running at the time, both total and for the user
 > >Apache runs as?
 >
 > 323 for all of the users
 > 293 for nobody (the user Apache runs as)

 And this is when the problem is happening?

 So "ps ax | wc" will show those numbers?

 Are you sure that the ulimits you show are the ones set when Apache is
 started?

 > >What does cat /proc/sys/kernel/file-max show?
 > 1024
 >
 > >Do you have any reason to think this is anything other than Linux simply
 > >running into file or process number restrictions?  Linux has some very
 > >annoying such restrictions that can be a pain to remove.
 > Yeah I have removed as many file limits as I could find.  Unfortunatly the 3 other machines
are running the exact same config without the problem popping up.
 > Either it is a hard ware problem with the PII 400's or it is something I cannot figure.

 This is most likely a Linux problem.

 The other servers may well have slightly different traffic distribution,
 different numbers of CGIs, etc.