www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject RE: apache-api/3355: ap_vformatter barfs on %n in log message
Date Fri, 06 Nov 1998 18:40:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR apache-api/3355; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Brian Schaffner <BSchaffner@accentonline.com>
Cc: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: RE: apache-api/3355: ap_vformatter barfs on %n in log message
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 10:34:47 -0800 (PST)

 On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Brian Schaffner wrote:

 > The actual code in the PHP source is (main.c, 224):
 >
 > aplog_error(NULL, 0, APLOG_ERR | APLOG_NOERRNO, php3_rqst->server,
 > log_message);
 >
 > passing "%n" as log_message.
 >
 > In PHP code:
 > <?
 > 	error_log("%n");
 > ?>

 Why do you think this is a bug in Apache?  %n is supposed to do:

      n              The  argument  should  be  a  pointer  to  an
                     integer  into  which is written the number of
                     characters written to the output standard I/O
                     stream  so  far  by  this  call  to printf(),
                     fprintf(), or sprintf().  No argument is con-
                     verted.

 If you call it without the proper number of arguments (ie. without a
 pointer to an integer as the relevant parameter) then it really isn't
 Apache's job to try to figure that out and, in fact, it can't always
 figure that out.