www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From emery ford <emery_f...@bigfoot.com>
Subject suexec/3357: unable to specify doc_root to be other than $(datadir)/htdocs for suEXEC
Date Fri, 06 Nov 1998 18:16:45 GMT

>Number:         3357
>Category:       suexec
>Synopsis:       unable to specify doc_root to be other than $(datadir)/htdocs for suEXEC
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
with configure you can specify a datadir=DIR the doc root becomes $(datadir)/htdocs.

The DocumentRoot directive in the conf files doesn't change the docroot, at least for suEXEC
purposes of determining whether a requested directory is within the server's webspace.

Why does this matter?  I am trying to keep my directory structure as flat as possible.

This is simplified view of the  way I need to set up multiple virtual hosts presently for
suEXEC capability:

/htdocs
    /server1
       /cgi-bin
       /htdocs
    /server2
       /cgi-bin2
       /htdocs2

...and this is the way I think it should be.

/server1
    /cgi-bin
    /htdocs
 /server2
    /cgi-bin2
    /htdocs2

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
1. allow configuration command line option for specifying datadir to include the currently
mandatory 'htdocs' directory. DOC_ROOT=$(datadir) rather than DOC_ROOT=$(datadir)/htdocs
2. Or, allow configuration command line  option to specify what 'htdocs' should be, allowing
it to be null.
3. Allow the configuration files to specify the DocumentRoot for suEXEC purposes.

Thanks for all your help. You guys are great!  -Emery