www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Andrew Cosgriff <Andrew.Cosgr...@cc.monash.edu.au>
Subject mod_rewrite/3351: Henry Spencer's regexp library won't match a simple regexp in mod_rewrite
Date Fri, 06 Nov 1998 01:25:39 GMT

>Number:         3351
>Category:       mod_rewrite
>Synopsis:       Henry Spencer's regexp library won't match a simple regexp in mod_rewrite
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
(I wasn't sure whether to log this as a mod_rewrite bug or an "other",
since it looks like a problem with the supplied regex library)

I'm using mod_rewrite to push cgi-bin directories through cgiwrap like so :

RewriteRule ^/cutsd1997/cgi-bin/(.*)$ /cgi-bin/cgiwrap/usera/$1  [L,PT]
RewriteRule ^/korean/cgi-bin/(.*)$    /cgi-bin/cgiwrap/userb/$1     [L,PT]
RewriteRule ^/asian_lang_stud/cgi-bin/(.*)$   /cgi-bin/cgiwrap/userc/$1  [L,PT]
RewriteRule ^/gsandss/german/cgi-bin/(.*)$ /cgi-bin-/cgiwrap/userd/$1     [L,PT]

Since i upgraded to Apache 1.3.3 from 1.2.5, the last 2 RewriteRules no longer match.

After a lot of playing around, I noticed that the supplied regex library is now compiled in
by default,
rather than the OS version.  I relinked apache with the OS regex library, and the two lines
now work fine.

The mod_rewrite log looked like this :

(3) applying pattern '^/asian_lang_stud/cgi-bin/(.*)$' to uri '/asian_lang_stud/cgi-bin/printenv'

why didn't it match ?

[ note, i'm on holiday next week, so won't be able to answer email until after that ]

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
I'm not sure how well the Digital Unix regex library compares, but maybe it's worth
going back to using it instead for that platform, at least.