www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Mark Herman II <turbo...@cajun.net>
Subject os-linux/3343: Server dies after 1-20 hours of usage.
Date Wed, 04 Nov 1998 22:39:57 GMT

>Number:         3343
>Category:       os-linux
>Synopsis:       Server dies after 1-20 hours of usage.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        1.2.6 and 1.3.3
>Environment:
Red Hat Linux with kernel version 2.0.35.  It has been patched to glibc2.0.7.
I am using gcc2.7.2.3, but the 1.2.6 server we were using
came with Red Hat Linux.

There is no core dump.  The server-status report from the 1.2.6 apache server would
show processes marked as running although they no longer existed.  Once it reached the
maximum number of requests for a child, it would kill the child, but it would still
appear as running in the server-status report.  It would then start a new process, since it
can't use the dead
ones.  After several hours it would reach the maximum number of processes and stop
answering requests.

The 1.3.3 version does not exibit the same behavior in the server status report, but
it still dies.

>How-To-Repeat:
I don't know what is causing it, so I can't repeat it.
You can access the server-status report at the following URL:

http://www.v6fbody.com/server-status/

The username and password are:
username: apache
password: group

The website address is http://www.v6fbody.com/
>Fix:
We started a cron job to restart the server on a periodic basis.