www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "David W. Morris" <...@XPASC.COM>
Subject Re: documentation/2221: Make online documentation search link back to my installation
Date Tue, 06 Oct 1998 16:48:34 GMT

I think perhaps my suggestion wasn't clear.  My point was that many
local apache installations won't have the search capability SO perform
the search as it is now done, but generate the result list with
references to the local apache system's installed docs rather than the
docs at the search server.

This does require local install of docs under a standard virtual
path.  A hidden search form variable could be configured during
installation to note the local doc root and by its existance enable
the remote/local configuration.

The advantage of this approach is a serious reduction of load on the
apache document server, the network, and the end user wanting to
read documentation.

At this moment in time, my workload precludes any volunteer activity but
I'll keep this in mind when I get some space.

Dave Morris