www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: mod_speling/3235: When blah/name.html exists, a request for blah/name/ lists blah.html/ as an available document. A trailing slash is incorrectly appended in this case.
Date Wed, 28 Oct 1998 12:50:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_speling/3235; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com>
To: Apache bug database <apbugs@Apache.Org>
Cc:  Subject: Re: mod_speling/3235: When blah/name.html exists, a request for
	         blah/name/ lists blah.html/ as an available document. A trailing
	         slash is incorrectly appended in this case.
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 07:41:38 -0500

 Lloyd Wood wrote:

 >  We're running Apache in a reasonably security-conscious way, with
 >  scripts limited to the cgi-bin tree and with server-side includes
 >  disabled.
 >
 >  Since Apache should be aware that cgi-bin scripts are restricted and
 >  SSI's are disabled, it should also know that unnecessary slashes and
 >  extraneous PATH_INFO can be safely discarded if so configured, and
 >  should be able to handle Speling.mod's output with that in mind.

 No.  Modules do not communicate with other modules, nor
 are aware of each other's settings.  The spelling module
 has no way of knowing whether mod_include/mod_cgi are
 part of the server or if their functions are enabled or
 disabled for a particular URI.  They could be disabled
 globally but turned on in a <Files> container, for
 instance.  Even if it were possible, if Apache were to
 do the sort of cross-checking you suggest the performance
 would drop by about an order of magnitude.

 	:
 >  for the existing powered.html. PATH_INFO can be discarded for this
 >  configuration and this error can be corrected for a large part of the
 >  installed base.

 No.  Again, mod_speling can have no idea whether the URI it
 presents will, in fact, be handled by the same server.  The
 configuration may have Alias or RewriteRule directives that
 will change how the URI is handled when presented to the
 server, so the spelling module cannot make brash assumptions
 about what it can discard and what it cannot.

 You can avoid this behaviour by either disabling the spelling
 module ("CheckSpelling Off") or enabling MultiViews
 ("Options +MultiViews").  Try these and see if they don't
 solve your problem.

 #ken	P-)}