www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Lloyd Wood <L.W...@surrey.ac.uk>
Subject Re: mod_speling/3235: When blah/name.html exists, a request for blah/name/ lists blah.html/ as an available document. A trailing slash is incorrectly appended in this case.
Date Tue, 27 Oct 1998 21:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_speling/3235; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Lloyd Wood <L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>
To: rbbloom@us.ibm.com
Cc: apache-bugdb@apache.org, apbugs@Apache.Org
Subject: Re: mod_speling/3235: When blah/name.html exists, a request for
         blah/name/ lists blah.html/ as an available document. A trailing
         slash is incorrectly appended in this case.
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 20:58:30 +0000 (GMT)

 Please see comments below.

 On 27 Oct 1998 rbbloom@us.ibm.com wrote:

 > Date: 27 Oct 1998 20:39:36 -0000
 > From: rbbloom@us.ibm.com
 > To: apache-bugdb@apache.org, L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk, rbbloom@us.ibm.com
 > Subject: Re: mod_speling/3235: When blah/name.html exists, a request for          blah/name/
lists blah.html/ as an available document. A trailing          slash is incorrectly appended
in this case.

 > [If you do not include this Cc, your reply may be ig-   ]
 > [nored unless you are responding to an explicit request ]
 > [from a developer.                                      ]
 > [Reply only with text; DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS!         ]
 >

 > Synopsis: When blah/name.html exists, a request for blah/name/ lists
 > blah.html/ as an available document. A trailing slash is incorrectly
 > appended in this case.

 replace 'blah.html/' with 'name.html/' above. Typo which may affect
 the logic of your reply;  I previously submitted a
 correction to this after my initial report.

 > State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
 > State-Changed-By: rbbloom@us.ibm.com
 > State-Changed-When: Tue Oct 27 12:39:35 PST 1998
 > State-Changed-Why:
 > This is the correct action for the program to take.  Apache
 > considers the trailing '/' to be PATH_INFO, which is required
 > for scripts and SSI's.  Because we do not if the file requires
 > PATH_INFO or not, we can not throw away that '/'.

 We're running Apache in a reasonably security-conscious way, with
 scripts limited to the cgi-bin tree and with server-side includes
 disabled.

 Since Apache should be aware that cgi-bin scripts are restricted and
 SSI's are disabled, it should also know that unnecessary slashes and
 extraneous PATH_INFO can be safely discarded if so configured, and
 should be able to handle Speling.mod's output with that in mind.

 Ergo, for files in the non-cgi-bin part of the webtree, Apache should
 not be appending the slash, and Speling.mod should do the Right Thing
 on e.g.:

 http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/spacesearch/powered/

 for the existing powered.html. PATH_INFO can be discarded for this
 configuration and this error can be corrected for a large part of the
 installed base.

 regards,

 L.

 <L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>