www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Gregg Brekke <gre...@artos.org>
Subject Re: general/3243: Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port 80
Date Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:10:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/3243; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gregg Brekke <greggb@artos.org>
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: Re: general/3243: Address already in use: make_sock: could not
	 bind to port 80
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 13:56:38 -0500

 Marc Slemko wrote:

 > On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Gregg Brekke wrote:
 >
 > > marc@apache.org wrote:
 > > >
 > > > [In order for any reply to be added to the PR database, ]
 > > > [you need to include <apbugs@Apache.Org> in the Cc line ]
 > > > [and leave the subject line UNCHANGED.  This is not done]
 > > > [automatically because of the potential for mail loops. ]
 > > > [If you do not include this Cc, your reply may be ig-   ]
 > > > [nored unless you are responding to an explicit request ]
 > > > [from a developer.                                      ]
 > > > [Reply only with text; DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS!         ]
 > > >
 > > > Synopsis: Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port 80
 > > >
 > > > State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
 > > > State-Changed-By: marc
 > > > State-Changed-When: Mon Oct 19 10:28:46 PDT 1998
 > > > State-Changed-Why:
 > > > Erm... how are you shutting Apache down?
 > > >
 > > > Are there any httpd processes still running after you
 > > > shut it down?
 > > >
 > > > What does netstat -na show for sockets on port 80?
 > >
 > > I shut Apache down with a kill -TERM so I can reload the configuration
 > > files with a command line restart.
 >
 > On the parent or the child?
 >

 > > Other Apache servers (non virtual) are still running on port 80 from
 > > their own configuration files, root directories and with different IP
 > > addresses.  There are no processes running or sockets open for the
 > > Apache server/IP address in question.
 > >

 > Please show the netstat output of all the servers that are listening on
 > the port.  ie. "netstat -na | grep LISTEN | grep \\.80
 >
 > What is the BindAddress or Listen directive set to in the other servers,
 > and what is it set to in this one?
 >
 > It appears like you are trying to bind to the wildcard address, ie. *:80.

 Indeed, there was a general *:80 binding on the server.  Killing all of
 my various Apache servers did not make the binding go away so I assume
 it is from different server software we are running for HTTPS.

 Adding a "Listen" directive to the main Apache configuration area solved
 the problem:

 Port 80
 ServerName www.xyz.org
 NameVirtualHost 111.222.333.30