www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Youichirou Koga <y-k...@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Subject mod_mime/3238: New directive suggestion: AddCharset
Date Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:59:39 GMT

>Number:         3238
>Category:       mod_mime
>Synopsis:       New directive suggestion: AddCharset
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
New directive suggestion: AddCharset

HTTP's default charset for Content-Type: is ISO-8859-1.
This default value is very convenient for languages which
are written with latin character. However it is not
convenient for some other languages (e.g. Japanese),
because we must specify a charset parameter explicitly and
we are using not only one charset but many charsets.
(e.g. iso-8859-1, iso-2022-jp, Shift_JIS, EUC-JP, and so on.)

We can use ForceType and AddType directives to specify
a charset parameter. Currently, if we set correct charset,
we must set it for all text/* media types using such directives,
but we don't use only one charset, as I've already written.

Now I propose adding a new directive, AddCharset to the mod_mime.
AddCharset directive allows us to set charset easily.

I have already implemented it. The patch and its manual is
available at following URL:
<http://www.isoternet.org/~y-koga/Apache/>

I hope you'll understand its necessity and merge it in next release.