www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From John Ham <zappa...@johnny.compsci.buu.ac.th>
Subject mod_autoindex/3218: PR 2243 still not fixed (AddDescription text is trucated on display)
Date Thu, 15 Oct 1998 11:10:32 GMT

>Number:         3218
>Category:       mod_autoindex
>Synopsis:       PR 2243 still not fixed (AddDescription text is trucated on display)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        1.3.3
>Environment:
Linux johnny 2.0.36 #1 Mon Oct 12 06:13:14 ICT 1998 i586 unknown

2.0.36pre14, libc 5.4.44, gcc 2.7.2.3, slackware derived distribution
This problem is like PR #2243.  You added a NameWidth which works great for
file names.  However,  you did not add the corresponding with specifier
(specifically, the '*' option) for the description field.  This means that
any meaningful description will be truncated exactly as described in PR #2243
That patch is for an old apache, and it looks like you added 50% of it.
I need DescWidth (and so does anybody else who uses AddDescription).  I think
it is a bug that you still truncate those fields.
>How-To-Repeat:
http://johnny.compsci.buu.ac.th/pub

I used netscape and lynx, so it is apache and not the browser.

PR #2243 is marked as closed but it should not be.  Please either discontinue
support for AddDescription (and remove it from the docs) or fix it so it can
really be used for something more than a one or two word description.

>Fix:
Apply other 1/2 of patch from PR 2243, adjusted to new apache code, that
would give a way to specify description column width, including a '*' that
says 'make it as wide as the widest description + 2 spaces' or something.
The default for description and file name columns should be '*'.  Alternatively,
remove AddDescription from apache and the documentation, since it is very
aggrivating that it does not work as expected.  Thank you.