www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: documentation/3214: naieve following of the tuning advice for 10.20 can lead to system panic
Date Wed, 14 Oct 1998 21:40:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR documentation/3214; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: rick jones <raj@cup.hp.com>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: documentation/3214: naieve following of the tuning advice for
 10.20 can lead to system panic
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 14:32:53 -0700 (PDT)

 On 14 Oct 1998, rick jones wrote:

 > When I provided tuning tips for HP-UX 10.20, I failed to mention the specifics
 > of how to set tcp_hash_size in the kernel disc image. It is critically important
 > that folks use "W" to write a 32 bit quantity, not "w" to write a 16 bit value
 > when patching the disc image.
 >
 > The tcp_hash_size parm is a 32 bit quantity, and using "w" will put a value into
 > the _upper_ 16 bits of that value, which will cause it to be larger than the
 > machine can take, and the box will panic upon reboot.

 We can fix that.  However, we would much prefer if you could write
 everything someone needs to know about tuning HPUX for Apache up on a web
 page and submit that to us, then we can simply replace the existing one
 with that.

 Normally, a "bug report" is the proper way to send such things in; if it
 is not easy to put in the body of the bug report, you can followup with an
 email to apbugs@apache.org with the same subject line or you can give a
 URL for it.