www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From rick jones <...@cup.hp.com>
Subject documentation/3214: naieve following of the tuning advice for 10.20 can lead to system panic
Date Wed, 14 Oct 1998 19:41:06 GMT

>Number:         3214
>Category:       documentation
>Synopsis:       naieve following of the tuning advice for 10.20 can lead to system panic
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When I provided tuning tips for HP-UX 10.20, I failed to mention the specifics
of how to set tcp_hash_size in the kernel disc image. It is critically important
that folks use "W" to write a 32 bit quantity, not "w" to write a 16 bit value
when patching the disc image.

The tcp_hash_size parm is a 32 bit quantity, and using "w" will put a value into
the _upper_ 16 bits of that value, which will cause it to be larger than the
machine can take, and the box will panic upon reboot.

>How-To-Repeat:
Simply use the wrong case in the adb command and reboot.
>Fix:
Modify or append the tuning description to include a warning to use "W" instead
of "w." Also, point-out that this particular tune is not applicable to HP-UX
11.X. That release has an entirely different set of tunes - if someone can give
me a proper email address to submit them (I suspect the bug report page is not
it :) I'd be happy to oblige