www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Mark Nottingham <m...@pobox.com>
Subject mod_log-any/3205: request for conditional in mod_log_config
Date Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:09:29 GMT

>Number:         3205
>Category:       mod_log-any
>Synopsis:       request for conditional in mod_log_config
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
This isn't a bug report; it's a feature request. Apologies if this isn't the
best place to do it.

I've looked through the docs for mod_log_config (as well as the source, briefly)
and I don't see a way to make a log request conditional on anything but the
status.

What I'm thinking is that it would be nice to either expand the conditions to
include whether or not another log variable is available (e.g., an environment
variable), and fall back to something else if not.

The reason I ask is that it would be nice to replace the host string when
the environment variable X-FORWARDED-FOR is available, from proxy servers.

That's pretty complex, and probably not too clean to implement. So, perhaps an
extra log field type just for this might be in order to achieve this.

Doing this would have some fairly far-reaching effects for people who used it,
so I don't know how advisable it is; it just struck me as something that may
be useful for some ppl running non-configurable web logfile analysers, to get
better stats. Just a thought.

Cheers