www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Rüdiger" Kuhlmann <Ruediger.Kuhlm...@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Subject mod_rewrite/3203: mod_rewrite checks if the path is absolute by testing whether the first char is '/'
Date Tue, 13 Oct 1998 23:11:08 GMT

>Number:         3203
>Category:       mod_rewrite
>Synopsis:       mod_rewrite checks if the path is absolute by testing whether the first
char is '/'
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        1.3.3 and before
>Environment:
AmigaOS wh36-a409.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de 3.1 40.63 m68k 68040

I know my platform isn't supported officially, but I think this problem
should arise on any platform where an absolute path doesn't have to begin
with '/', so please have a look at it.
The mod_rewrite module makes platform dependant assumptions when checking
the path for being absolute - not on every platform an absolute path
begins with an slash ('/'). This results in returning a BAD_REQUEST, or, if
that is fixed, results in prepending the path twice.
>How-To-Repeat:
Call mod_rewrite with an absolute path like "GG:home/blabla/" and any
rewrite-rule coming in effekt.
>Fix:
Replace the tests for the string starting with an '/' by a call to
ap_os_is_path_absolute. That's what subroutines like this are for - doing platform
dependant things. This is the case at the two positions where a BAD_REQUEST
might get returned and at the two positions where the directory might get
prepended (search for 'prefixstrip').