www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy/3188: Proxy returns 407 code to browser when secure <Directory> or <Location> defined
Date Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:10:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_proxy/3188; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Steven Uggowitzer <uggowitzers@who.int>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: mod_proxy/3188: Proxy returns 407 code to browser when secure
 <Directory> or <Location> defined
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 08:53:11 -0700 (PDT)

 On 12 Oct 1998, Steven Uggowitzer wrote:

 > I require an Apache web server to proxy to a specialized web server (IIS --yuck)
 > on the inside of our corporate firewall.  This works fine, however I needed to
 > define authentification to restrict access by user name and password.  When I
 > did this, web clients get 407 errors returned to them.  Unfortunately neither
 > Netscape nor IE seeme to know what to do with this response code. This problem
 > seems to have been similarly reported as PR#2978 but never resolved.

 Both netscape and IE know what to do with a 407 response code, since that
 is the proper response code for a proxy.

 You, however, are doing a "reverse proxy" or whatever so the clients don't
 know they are talking to a proxy.  There is currently no way to configure
 Apache to do normal auth instead of proxy auth in this situation.