www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Greg Roelofs <n...@pobox.com>
Subject mod_negotiation/3191: no way to set global quality-of-source (qs) coneg values with multiviews
Date Mon, 12 Oct 1998 14:56:40 GMT

>Number:         3191
>Category:       mod_negotiation
>Synopsis:       no way to set global quality-of-source (qs) coneg values with multiviews
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
You may be aware that there is no working client-side method to choose between
content types, thanks to incomplete and/or broken OBJECT support in most browsers
(including all versions of the Big Two).  That leaves server-side content negotiation.

Unfortunately, a site that wishes to set overall quality-of-source settings for
various content types--for example, to indicate that any PNG is twice as preferable
as any GIF--has only two options:  generate an individual variants file for every
image on the site, or hack the source.  This is a serious problem, and even the
CERN server provided better support.

I understand some of the W3C guys have contacted you about this and may be working
on a patch (though a search of the bug database didn't turn up anything); if so,
I strongly urge you to incorporate the patch soon.  I've looked through the source
myself, and it is apparent that read_types_multi(), get_entry() and set_mime_fields()
in mod_negotiation.c are already capable of supporting global defaults; there is
simply no facility on the config-file end to support a line similar to

I suspect that adding mod_negotiation support for a top-level AddSourceQuality or
AddQS configuration command would be relatively easy; thus

	AddSourceQuality image/png;qs=0.8

If you already have plans to do something like this for version 1.4 or whatever,
*please* let me know ASAP.  Deadline for my book is very near, and I would hate
to have to leave the text sounding as negative and uncertain as it does now.

Thanks...
>How-To-Repeat:
Add "Content-Type: image/png;qs=0.8" to srm.conf and see what happens, or just
read content-negotiation.html and note that it is supported for variants files
but not for MultiViews.  (Note related documentation bug:  2965)
>Fix:
see Full Description above