www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "David W. Morris" <...@XPASC.COM>
Subject Re: documentation/2221: Make online documentation search link back to my installation
Date Tue, 06 Oct 1998 17:10:03 GMT
The following reply was made to PR documentation/2221; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "David W. Morris" <dwm@XPASC.COM>
To: manoj@apache.org
Cc: apache-bugdb@apache.org, apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: documentation/2221: Make online documentation search link back to my installation
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 09:48:34 -0700 (PDT)

 I think perhaps my suggestion wasn't clear.  My point was that many
 local apache installations won't have the search capability SO perform
 the search as it is now done, but generate the result list with
 references to the local apache system's installed docs rather than the
 docs at the search server.

 This does require local install of docs under a standard virtual
 path.  A hidden search form variable could be configured during
 installation to note the local doc root and by its existance enable
 the remote/local configuration.

 The advantage of this approach is a serious reduction of load on the
 apache document server, the network, and the end user wanting to
 read documentation.

 At this moment in time, my workload precludes any volunteer activity but
 I'll keep this in mind when I get some space.

 Dave Morris