www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: general/3029: NameVirtualHost and Port Numbers: One hosts captures all connections to other ports
Date Thu, 01 Oct 1998 23:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR config/3029; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Manoj Kasichainula <manojk@raleigh.ibm.com>
To: seb@akamail.com, apbugs@hyperreal.org
Cc:  Subject: Re: general/3029: NameVirtualHost and Port Numbers: One hosts captures all connections
to other ports
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 17:57:15 -0400

 On Sat, Sep 19, 1998 at 12:49:46AM -0000, Steven E.Brenner wrote:
 > I would expect (because of the _default_:*) entry, that
 > http://csb.stanford.edu:1234/ would take me to ...default/pub

 Your problem with a _default_ VirtualHost is documented.
 From http://idli.raleigh.ibm.com/manual/vhosts/examples.html#default

 "Using such a default vhost with a wildcard port effectively prevents
 any request going to the main server.  A default vhost never serves a
 request that was sent to an address/port that is used for name-based
 vhosts.  If the request contained an unknown or no Host: header it is
 always served from the primary name-based vhost (the vhost for that
 address/port appearing first in the configuration file)."

 > Further, I would expect that http://lw1.stanford.edu:1234/ (which
 > has an explicit VirtualHost entry) would also take me to
 > ...default/pub

 I tried to build a similar configuration to yours on my Linux box. I
 couldn't recreate this problem. And your server seems to be down at
 the moment so I can't test it. Please retry and confirm this bug with
 1.3.2 if possible.

 Also try replacing your NameVirtualHost entry with:

 NameVirtualHost 171.65.16.192:80
 NameVirtualHost 171.65.16.192:1234
 NameVirtualHost 171.65.16.192:9876

 and see if your problem goes away.