www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject mod_cgi/1960: Apache - broken CGI interface?
Date Tue, 01 Sep 1998 14:02:39 GMT

> I wonder where the CGI++ people read that CGI/1.1
> guarantees a Content-Length?  The only thing in this area
> that I can recall (my references are not currently
> available)

Neither is mine, but I'm 99% certain it's in the old Robinson
draft, which is as near as we ever had to a formal spec.

> It's a little unclear whether you're talking about input
> to the script, or output therefrom.  For the former, the
> CONTENT_LENGTH envariable should always be defined, even
> if as a null string.

Shouldn't "0" be preferable to a null string?  (n.b. CGI++
treats them the same, but also logs an error if it gets null).

> As for HTTP/1.1 and the lack of Content-Length..  IIRC that
> only happens if the transfer-encoding is chunked, which
> isn't supported for CGI anyway.

IIRC it happens also when the browser loses the connection.
IMHO - for CGI/1.1 at least - it shouldn't call CGI at all when
the request is incomplete.

--
Nick Kew