www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: general/3063: Virutal host setup impossible with existing docs (fwd)
Date Thu, 24 Sep 1998 17:47:55 GMT
If anyone else wants to deal with this jerk, go right ahead.

I am not wasting any more time with his crap.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 24 Sep 1998 17:30:01 -0000
From: G. Roderick Singleton <gerry@pathinc.net>
To: apache-bugdb@apache.org
Cc: apache-bugdb@apache.org
Subject: Re: general/3063: Virutal host setup impossible with existing docs

The following reply was made to PR general/3063; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "G. Roderick Singleton" <gerry@pathinc.net>
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:20:09 -0400

 Marc Slemko wrote:

 > On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
 >
 > > marc@apache.org wrote:
 > > >
 > > > [In order for any reply to be added to the PR database, ]
 > > > [you need to include <apbugs@Apache.Org> in the Cc line ]
 > > > [and leave the subject line UNCHANGED.  This is not done]
 > > > [automatically because of the potential for mail loops. ]
 > > > [If you do not include this Cc, your reply may be ig-   ]
 > > > [nored unless you are responding to an explicit request ]
 > > > [from a developer.                                      ]
 > > > [Reply only with text; DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS!         ]
 > > >
 > > > Synopsis: Virutal host setup impossible with existing docs
 > > >
 > > > State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
 > > > State-Changed-By: marc
 > > > State-Changed-When: Thu Sep 24 08:00:03 PDT 1998
 > > > State-Changed-Why:
 > > > This is almost certainly due to you not reading the vhost
 > > > docs.  Please go through them at
 > > > http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts/
 > >
 > > Done this and found that what I need is not included. i.e. migrating
 > > from 1.2.5 to 1.3,x.
 > >
 > > I invoke apache via /etc/init.d/apache complete with all the hard links.
 > > Sartup looks something like this:
 > >
 > > #! /sbin/sh
 > > #
 > > # Start/Stop Apache
 > > #
 > >
 > > umask 2
 > > APACHEROOT=/usr/local/apache/apache_1.3.2 export APACHEROOT
 > >
 > > case "$1" in
 > > 'start')
 > >       if [ -f  $APACHEROOT/sbin/httpd -a  $APACHEROOT/etc/httpd.conf ]; then
 > >               echo "Apache starting."
 > >                $APACHEROOT/sbin/httpd -f  $APACHEROOT/etc/httpd.conf
 > >       fi
 > >       for i in  $APACHEROOT/virtuals/*/httpd.conf
 > >       do
 > >               $APACHEROOT/sbin/httpd -f $i
 > >       done
 > >       ;;
 > >

 > > The main server starts but not the virtuals.
 >
 > They are not virtual hosts as far as Apache is concerned!
 >
 > We do not have the time or resources to sit around trying to guess what
 > you mean, what your setup is, and exactly what you are seeing, what you
 > think you should see, what errors you are getting, what your logfiles are
 > saying.  If you refuse to give us details of your settings, except from
 > what we can grudgingly drag out of you, or any reason to think there is
 > any sort of bug in Apache, we can do nothing.
 >
 > If you don't want to read the docs but want people to tell you how Apache
 > works, and walk you through figuring out how to setup a server then this
 > is not the place, as is clearly detailed before you submit a bug report.

 I submit a bug because your docs and the program do NOT behave as one
 would expect form what little is documented.  Further the logs are EMPTY
 so why would I send them?  Not a reasonable expectation on your part.

 The "Overview of new features" contains no mention of changes to the way
 virtusla are handled.  This IS a BUG in my opinion.

 I asked if virtuals needed to be declared in etc/httpd.conf.  So far
 no answer and as this is distinctly differenct behaviour from 1.2.5 at
 the very least we have a migration issue.

 > > > Since you don't mention the little detail of _HOW_ you are trying]
 > > > to configure these vhosts, I'm afraid I can't comment more.

 From my previous message and the example above it should be patently
 clear that I have indidual httpd.conf files for my virtuals.  I can't
 understand why you'd say this.

 > > I'm sure you could have.
 > >
 > > I'm using individual hhtpd.conf files.  Remember, I'm migrating as shown
 > > above.
 >
 > How can I remember something you never said until now!?!?

 Then GNATS is truncating messages. It did this in gnats-3.2 as well.

 I do not have control of the software at your end, you do. Perhsp it's
 time for a review of your system.

 Back to the problem.  the following example fails to work:

 /usr/local/apache/apache_1.3.2/sbin/httpd -f
 /usr/local/apache/apache_1.3.2/virtuals/www.pathtech.org/httpd.conf

 Specifally no errors, no log and no deamon.  This difference is
 undocumented and causes failure of my virtuals.  I have even read
 "Sections inside <VirtualHost> sections are applied after the
 corresponding sections outside the
 virtual host definition. This allows virtual hosts to override the main
 server configuration. (Note: this
 only works correctly from 1.2.2 and 1.3a2 onwards. Before those releases
 sections inside virtual
 hosts were applied before the main server). "

 Interesting but this note does not apply to my experience.

 I'll be gad to RTFM but would appreciate a pointer.
 G. Roderick Singleton, <gerry@pathinc.net> PATH technologies inc.,
 55 West Beaver Creek Road, Unit 4, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1K5
 Voice : 416-445-8179   Toll Free: 888-354-PATH   Facsimile: 905-709-2095