www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From c...@apache.org
Subject Re: mod_proxy/2552: IdentityCheck reports wrong user name from Identd when apache act as a proxy server
Date Sun, 27 Sep 1998 16:12:44 GMT

Synopsis: IdentityCheck  reports wrong user name from Identd when apache act as a proxy server

Comment-Added-By: coar
Comment-Added-When: Sun Sep 27 09:12:43 PDT 1998
Comment-Added:
[More from submitter]
Hi:

I examed the source code, and got the following findings.

In normal HTTP access to local file system, the rfc1413 was called by
auth mod. This is still at an earlier stage of processing of the
request, so the client machine, upon receiving the Identd check,  was
able to locate its end of the tcp/ip connection, and properly reply the
user id who owns that port.

But in proxy mode, the Auth module was some how skipped, so the Identd
check is left until the process reached log modules. I believe that it
was too late for log module to ask the client machine for the remote
user ID. When HTTP connection in question is closing,  it's impossible
for the client machine to respond when the FIN packet of the HTTP
connection was sent.

I inserted a rfc1413 call to get the remote user ID into the
ap_read_request () function, just after it constructed all the request
record. The problem is thus fixed as the rfc1413 request is early
enough. Yet, my solution doesn't seems to be a gracious one.  Any advice
of where should do the remote ID check in the proxy module?

Thanks
Fu Ming