www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: general/3063: Virutal host setup impossible with existing docs (fwd)
Date Thu, 24 Sep 1998 16:20:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/3063; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: apbugs@apache.org
Cc:  Subject: Re: general/3063: Virutal host setup impossible with existing docs
 (fwd)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:15:48 -0700 (PDT)

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
 Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:03:55 -0400
 From: G. Roderick Singleton <gerry@pathinc.net>
 To: marc@apache.org
 Subject: Re: general/3063: Virutal host setup impossible with existing docs

 marc@apache.org wrote:

 > [If you do not include this Cc, your reply may be ig-   ]
 > [nored unless you are responding to an explicit request ]
 > [from a developer.                                      ]
 > [Reply only with text; DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS!         ]
 >
 > Synopsis: Virutal host setup impossible with existing docs
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
 > State-Changed-By: marc
 > State-Changed-When: Thu Sep 24 08:00:03 PDT 1998
 > State-Changed-Why:
 > This is almost certainly due to you not reading the vhost
 > docs.  Please go through them at
 > http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts/

 Done this and found that what I need is not included. i.e. migrating
 from 1.2.5 to 1.3,x.

 I invoke apache via /etc/init.d/apache complete with all the hard links.
 Sartup looks something like this:

 #! /sbin/sh
 #
 # Start/Stop Apache
 #

 umask 2
 APACHEROOT=/usr/local/apache/apache_1.3.2 export APACHEROOT

 case "$1" in
 'start')
 	if [ -f  $APACHEROOT/sbin/httpd -a  $APACHEROOT/etc/httpd.conf ]; then
 		echo "Apache starting."
 		 $APACHEROOT/sbin/httpd -f  $APACHEROOT/etc/httpd.conf
 	fi
 	for i in  $APACHEROOT/virtuals/*/httpd.conf
 	do
 		$APACHEROOT/sbin/httpd -f $i
 	done
 	;;

 The main server starts but not the virtuals.

 > Since you don't mention the little detail of _HOW_ you are trying]
 > to configure these vhosts, I'm afraid I can't comment more.

 I'm sure you could have.

 I'm using individual hhtpd.conf files.  Remember, I'm migrating as shown
 above.

 > The Listen command is not required, but what is required
 > is the NameVirtualHost directive.

 Ah ha! Okay I'll look it up but it would help to know where to put the
 directive(s).  Main .conf or in the individuals?  I ma attempting to
 migrate 400 virtuals and need to understand the new mechanisms.
 Otherwise the exercise will not be fruitful.

 > Also note that "1.3.5" doesn't exist, as you claim you are using.

 typo it should be 1.3.2. Sorry

 Regards,
 ger
 G. Roderick Singleton, <gerry@pathinc.net> PATH technologies inc.,
 55 West Beaver Creek Road, Unit 4, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1K5
 Voice : 416-445-8179   Toll Free: 888-354-PATH   Facsimile: 905-709-2095