www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Daniel C. Stevenson" <dani...@webatomics.com>
Subject Re: general/3039: MMapFile doesn't do what it should (file edits are read by server)
Date Tue, 22 Sep 1998 03:40:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/3039; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Daniel C. Stevenson" <daniels@webatomics.com>
To: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: general/3039: MMapFile doesn't do what it should (file edits
 are read by server)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:13:36 -0400

 >>From www.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mmap_static:
 >
 >... To reiterate that point: if the files are modified in place without
 >restarting the server you may end up serving requests that are completely
 >bogus.  ...

 Does bogus include actually recognizing/displaying the modified files
 without restarting the server (which is the behavior I saw)?

 -- if no --

  I gathered from the documentation that any changes would *not* be
  displayed, and thus I tried to use that to test whether mmap_static was
  running (changes would not be displayed) or not (changes would be
  displayed, as normal).

  I reloaded the page with about 5 different versions, and did each one about
  20 times from different hosts (in an attempt to distribute across the
  server processes) and got completely predictable/normal behavior, as in the
  changes are duly replicated in my browser, *without* a server restart.

 -- end if --

 Again, if "bogus" means actually doing the normal thing (showing changes
 w/o restart), my sincere apologies. Is there a better way to tell if
 mmap_static is working properly?

 Thanks.

 Dan Stevenson

 P.S. Apache is an increasingly perfect product. I teach a Web design and
 development class to MIT undergraduates and I take every chance to say good
 things about Apache (and open development). Recently, I had the need to
 write a module using the API, and it was wonderful, especially compared to
 NSAPI.