www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From r..@apache.org
Subject Re: mod_rewrite/2925: Multiple // not collapsed for you by mod_rewrite
Date Thu, 10 Sep 1998 08:44:37 GMT

Synopsis: Multiple // not collapsed for you by mod_rewrite

State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
State-Changed-By: rse
State-Changed-When: Thu Sep 10 01:44:36 PDT 1998
State-Changed-Why:
Hmmm.... I personally think mod_rewrite should _not_
collaps multiple slashes in URLs before applying
the patterns. Because first when I remember correctly
the URLs /foo/bar/ and /foo//bar/ are defined as
different URLs (fix me here, when I'm wrong) and
second the intent behind mod_rewrite actually
is that you can manipulate the URLs in the format
as close to what it is given in the request. Automatically
collapsing slashes and other things would result
in big surprises by the users, IMHO. The only think
we _could_ do is to provide a [NO2SL] flag, or whatever
we name it, which explicitly collapses the slashes.
But I'm not very happy even about this idea, because
I still think when you have URLs with double slashes
in it it's an error at all.