www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: os-freebsd/2959: Virtual Hosting (VirtualHost directive)
Date Sun, 06 Sep 1998 02:00:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-freebsd/2959; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Bradley Kite <bradley@rug-rats.org>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: os-freebsd/2959: Virtual Hosting (VirtualHost directive)
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 18:52:17 -0700 (PDT)

 On 6 Sep 1998, Bradley Kite wrote:

 > I am using a version of apache, that is part of the FreeBSD 2.2.7 Ports collection.
The main server works fine, but if I add a virtual host
 > I get 403 (Forbidden - You don't have permission to access / on this server)
 > on any web page my server server.
 > ie: Using the default config files, it works fine. If I add a virtual host, I get Forbidden
on any page.

 You mean all accesses are denied, including those not to the vhost, or are
 just those to the vhost denied?

 What does the error log say?

 Are you trying to do name-based (ie. one IP for all vhosts) virtual
 hosting?  If so, please read the docs because you are missing a
 NameVirtualHost directive.

 Also check that the permissions on
 /home/epitaph/public_html/www.gravestone.org/data and all directories
 leading up to that are world readable.

 Also note that it is a very bad idea to put log files in users' home
 directories, as it creates a major security hole described in the docs.