www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: suexec/2942: suexec did not work
Date Wed, 02 Sep 1998 01:10:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR suexec/2942; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Klaus Steinberger <Klaus.Steinberger@Physik.Uni-Muenchen.DE>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: suexec/2942: suexec did not work
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 16:47:28 -0700 (PDT)

 On 1 Sep 1998, Klaus Steinberger wrote:

 > >Environment:
 > Linux 2.0.33, egcs 1.0.3
 > In my environment suexec did not work, even with no output into the logfile.
 > The server returned an internal error.
 >
 > Further investigation showed up, that the static variable "log"
 > was not initialized. Accidentally in my case it was not NULL,
 > so the logfile was not opened, instead the error output was done
 > with an invalid FILE pointer, which led to an crash of the script.

 Erm... if your compiler really is doing that then it is horribly bogus and
 should be stomped on, attacked with an axe, thrown out the window and have
 an anvil dropped on top of it.

 Are you _sure_ that is what you are seeing?  Are you sure you didn't
 change anything else?

 The C language says that will automatically be initialized to NULL, an
 explicit initializer is not necessary.  It is possible that it is moving
 it around to a different place in memory, resulting in something else not
 overwriting it, but I find that odd.

 Can you try checking with gdb to see what log is set to if you don't
 initialize it?