www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jay Soffian <...@cimedia.com>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite/2931: mod_rewrite -U switch in combination with [P] rule doesn't work properly
Date Tue, 01 Sep 1998 11:50:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_rewrite/2931; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jay Soffian <jay@cimedia.com>
To: apbugs@hyperreal.org, apache-bugdb@apache.org
Cc:  Subject: Re: mod_rewrite/2931: mod_rewrite -U switch in combination with [P] rule doesn't
work properly
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 07:42:36 -0400

 +--apbugs@hyperreal.org once said:

 |Thank you very much for your problem report.
 |It has the internal identification `mod_rewrite/2931'.
 |The individual assigned to look at your
 |report is: apache.
 |
 |>Category:       mod_rewrite
 |>Responsible:    apache
 |>Synopsis:       mod_rewrite -U switch in combination with [P] rule doesn't wo
 |rk properly
 |>Arrival-Date:   Mon Aug 31 07:50:01 PDT 1998

 Argh. I figured this out I think. Unfortunately, the '-U' switch
 doesn't check for the existance of a document, it just checks to see
 if the URL is valid (meaning it passes auth and access checks, is in a
 document root or aliased, etc). You have to actually do a run_sub_req
 to find out if the document is servable, and that then serves the
 document, which is not what we want.

 What we do want is the ability to proxypass every URL that fails on
 the local server to a remote server. The local server acts as a stage,
 so any content that is missing on the stage needs to get filled in
 from the live server. We need to be able to do this for <!--#include
 virtual's as well though, so it can't be done just by a CGI error
 document processor. (And in fact can't be done by mod_rewrite either
 since it doesn't allow for proxy'ing sub_req's, though we've locally
 removed that restriction from the code.)

 There isn't really a good way to do this other than doing a bunch of
 -f and -d checks, and that is a pain.

 j.
 --
 Jay Soffian <jay@cimedia.com>                       UNIX Systems Administrator
 404.572.1941                                             Cox Interactive Media