www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject mod_cgi/1960: Apache - broken CGI interface?
Date Tue, 01 Sep 1998 11:50:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_cgi/1960; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
To: coar@apache.org
Cc: apache-bugdb@apache.org, apbugs@apache.org
Subject: mod_cgi/1960: Apache - broken CGI interface?
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 12:02:39 -0200 (GMT+2)

 > I wonder where the CGI++ people read that CGI/1.1
 > guarantees a Content-Length?  The only thing in this area
 > that I can recall (my references are not currently
 > available)

 Neither is mine, but I'm 99% certain it's in the old Robinson
 draft, which is as near as we ever had to a formal spec.

 > It's a little unclear whether you're talking about input
 > to the script, or output therefrom.  For the former, the
 > CONTENT_LENGTH envariable should always be defined, even
 > if as a null string.

 Shouldn't "0" be preferable to a null string?  (n.b. CGI++
 treats them the same, but also logs an error if it gets null).

 > As for HTTP/1.1 and the lack of Content-Length..  IIRC that
 > only happens if the transfer-encoding is chunked, which
 > isn't supported for CGI anyway.

 IIRC it happens also when the browser loses the connection.
 IMHO - for CGI/1.1 at least - it shouldn't call CGI at all when
 the request is incomplete.

 --
 Nick Kew