www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From c...@apache.org
Subject Re: mod_log-any/1670: Double quotes in HTTP request line bungle common log
Date Tue, 01 Sep 1998 11:00:55 GMT

Synopsis: Double quotes in HTTP request line bungle common log

State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
State-Changed-By: coar
State-Changed-When: Tue Sep  1 04:00:54 PDT 1998
State-Changed-Why:

Yet another deficiency of the Common Log Format.  We
can't \-escape quotation marks in the %r value because
that would break any custom log formats that *didn't*
encode it as \"%r\" -- aside from munging something
we're supposed to be reporting verbatim.  And the volume
of requests with " in them wouldn't seem to be significant,
anyway; certainly not enough to justify having the logger
determine whether %r was inside a quoted string or not.

I guess the basic answer is that this is a misfeature of
the CLF with which we just have to live.  Sorry.