www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: general/2763: More suggestions, really: I've not discovered anywhere else for them
Date Sun, 02 Aug 1998 16:41:07 GMT
John Summerfield wrote:

> On 2 Aug 1998 coar@apache.org wrote:
>
> I have a dialup connexion. My computer goes online at 23:00 daily
> whether I'm present or nt. At that time, I exchange mail & news, run
> any pending ftp requests etc.
>
> frob? can we keep it in English?

'Frob' is Hackish.  In this context, it means 'fiddle with.'
The script accesses and updates the database in real time.

> Whatever it means, such reports would be improved on any emailed
> reports containing whatever the author thinks relevant: judging from
> usenet postings, the quality varies greatly, many useless.

We don't get many emailed reports - and most of those we do are
requested to 'please enter a PR so we can track this.'

> If the report's generated on the offending system, you can pick up
> alsort of useful information and present it in a standard
> easily-parsed form.
>
> Presumably, whatever frobbing is, it can be done my the mail script
> that receives it.
>
> And if the server's down, well, it just waits in the mail queue as
> necessary.

The biggest problem with this approach is the development time
required.  Most of the Apache developers don't have a lot of time
available for their Apache work, so what there is goes to the
actual code rather than the support infrastructure.

However, as I said, I see some definite merit in at least
investigating these areas for improvement -- so all is not
lost.

#ken	P-)}