www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ross Golder <ro...@cpd.co.uk>
Subject Re: general/2889: Inclusion of RPM spec file in CVS/distributions
Date Mon, 24 Aug 1998 08:40:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/2889; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ross Golder <rossg@cpd.co.uk>
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: general/2889: Inclusion of RPM spec file in CVS/distributions
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 09:36:37 +0100

 Marc Slemko wrote:

 > On 21 Aug 1998, Ross Golder wrote:
 >
 > > If we have one common spec file to build from, and if we distributed
 > > some Apache-endorsed (?) RPMs at release time, much wasted coding time
 > > could be avoided.
 >
 > The problem is that I don't see peple actually using one common file.
 > It seems that every distribution maker wants to change their own things
 > to make Apache the way "they" like it, regardless of how the distribution
 > is.

 That's up to the distribution makers. We could still help out by
 providing the base spec file. They would then only need change the
 filenames, if they desire. It would save each distribution maker at
 least some time. Anyway, that shouldn't stop us from being able to
 provide a 'default' brew.

 > There are also enough differences (eg. paths) between systems that changes
 > would have to be made anyway.

 What differences? I don't have much experience with Debian, but RedHat
 is based on a filesystem standard (FSSTND?).

 I would _really_ like to see a spec file included in CVS. I think it
 would be a great benefit to the project, making
 installation/upgrade/removal of the software much easier. Can anyone
 provide any reason why this would not be beneficial?

 --
 Ross