www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: config/2891: Problems reading .htaccess in symlinked directory
Date Sat, 22 Aug 1998 23:20:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR config/2891; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: config/2891: Problems reading .htaccess in symlinked directory
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 16:15:12 -0700 (PDT)

 On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Gerd Knops wrote:

 > That is true (it's a dos floppy), but fact is that something changed between

 Then that is your problem.

 > 1.2x and 1.31. 1.31 doesn't let me access anything in that directory, with

 Note that is 1.2.x and 1.3.1; there is no 1.31.

 > 1.2x it works just fine. I'll be digging through the apache code to see what
 > exactly happens and why.

 Yes, as I already said this was changed on purpose.  Ignoring the htaccess
 file if we get an error opening it isn't correct.  The code is in
 http_config.c; look for the error message to see where.

 > > As I said, you can work around this by having Apache not look for htaccess
 > > files, but the problem isn't in Apache.
 > >
 > The parent directory needs it's own .htaccess file, and 'AllowOverride' is
 > not valid in .htaccess files.

 There is nothing stopping you from setting it in your *.conf files inside
 an appropriate Directory section.