www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: config/2891: Problems reading .htaccess in symlinked directory
Date Sat, 22 Aug 1998 23:00:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR config/2891; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: config/2891: Problems reading .htaccess in symlinked directory
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 15:54:56 -0700 (PDT)

 On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Gerd Knops wrote:

 > > is too long.  This is a limitation of your OS; there is nothing
 > > Apache can do about it.
 > >
 > No, this is not the case. If I copy the directory instead of making a
 > symlink, it works fine. Also note that the directory doesn not even contain a
 > .htaccess file.

 But the point is that your OS is telling Apache very clearly that the path
 is too long.  Apache does not do _ANYTHING_ special here; it just tries to
 open a file called .htaccess in the given directory.  If your OS says it
 isn't there, it is happy and goes on.

 If your OS returns some unusual error, it has to reject access to be safe.
 Your OS is saying that the pathname is too long; for whatever reason, that
 is your OS's fault.

 > So, to recap:
 >
 > If '/theUsers/gerti/www/devel_root/Photos/floppy' is a symlink (in my case
 > to /noname, a mounted floppy disk), I get the error message.
 >
 > If I copy /noname to /theUsers/gerti/www/devel_root/Photos and rename it to
 > floppy, it works fine.
 >
 > Looks like a bug to me...

 Sure, but it is almost certainly not a bug in Apache, but a bug in your
 OS.  Your os is telling Apache that the path is too long.  Perhaps
 whatever filesystem your floppy is on can't support filenames like
 ".htaccess".

 As I said, you can work around this by having Apache not look for htaccess
 files, but the problem isn't in Apache.