www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Trace Pupke <pup...@cofc.edu>
Subject Re: os-osf/2865: [error] (35)Operation would block: couldn't spawn child process: /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/Count.cgi
Date Thu, 20 Aug 1998 14:50:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-osf/2865; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Trace Pupke <pupket@cofc.edu>
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc: apbugs@Apache.Org
Subject: Re: os-osf/2865: [error] (35)Operation would block: couldn't spawn
 child process: /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/Count.cgi
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 10:44:15 -0400

 At 02:25 AM 8/19/98 , Marc Slemko wrote:

 >> I've noticed this message on the System messages:
 >>                 vmunix: fork/procdup: task_create failed. Code: 0x11
 >
 >This really looks like your OS is having some problem.  You should be sure
 >you have all the latest patches installed for you OS and contact your
 >vendor to see if they can help.
 >
 >This is really looking like an OS problem, and there isn't much we can do
 >to track it down.

 I solved the problem. My OS (OSF/1 3.2) is a very old build, so it wasn't
 well configured to run as a web server. So, you have to change your machine
 kernel configurations, it has a limit on the number of proccesses and the
 number of children that can be spawned, the variables are maxusers (which
 has nothing to do with actual users but the number of proccesses allowed)
 and maxuprc. They were at 128 and 64 respectively, but I changed them to
 128 and 256 respectively. Once you change those configs (in
 /sys/conf/the_name_of_your_machine) you must re-build the kernel and
 replace the new kernal with the old, of course make a backup of your
 old kernal in case all else fails.

 I haven't seen the error once since rebuilding the kernel, about 15 hours
 ago. The error use to occur at least once every minute.

 Thanks for trying to help anyway.

 Trace Pupke
 pupket@cofc.edu