www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jay Soffian <...@cimedia.com>
Subject Re: os-solaris/2834: Seeing lots of[Wed Aug 12 02:41:56 1998] access to /index_layout.html failed for 172.16.20.2, reason: stat: Stale NFS file handle (errno = 151) in error log
Date Wed, 19 Aug 1998 18:30:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-solaris/2834; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jay Soffian <jay@cimedia.com>
To: apbugs@hyperreal.org, Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
Cc: eng-disc@cimedia.com, ron@cimedia.com
Subject: Re: os-solaris/2834: Seeing lots of[Wed Aug 12 02:41:56 1998] access to /index_layout.html
failed for 172.16.20.2, reason: stat: Stale NFS file handle (errno = 151) in error log
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 14:24:43 -0400

 +--Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org> once said:

 |On 12 Aug 1998, Jay Soffian wrote:
 |
 |>           errno = 0;
 |>           rv = stat(path, &r->finfo);
 |> +       if (rv < 0 && errno == ESTALE)  /* workaround for Stale NFS Filehand
 |le problem */
 |> +             rv = stat(path, &r->finfo); /* with Solaris's rnode cache */
 |
 |But what do you do about this problem when it occurs in a 3rd party
 |library that you don't have source for?  Such as libc?  Sorry this is a
 |kernel bug, the hack above fixes it for only one single case.  I don't see
 |the point in fixing it for the one case when there are potentially dozens
 |of others that could be broken.  You should complain to your solaris rep.
 |
 |I'd be more sympathetic if EINTR were one of the posix errors for stat()
 |-- at least then there would be precedence for having to retry a stat. But
 |it isn't... (and I don't see ESTALE documented on the solaris man page
 |either).

 Actually, I have to agree with you. After I submitted the PR, I
 thought about it some more and realized I need to submit a PR to
 Sun. It really is a problem they created. That being said, until Sun
 fixes the problem, there isn't anything I can do but work around it in
 Apache. I can't imagine there aren't other people having this same
 problem; apache/solaris/NFS is a pretty common combination. But I
 could find no documentation of anyone else seeing this problem. In any
 case, the problem is worthy of being documenting in the Apache bugs;
 having achieved that, I'm happy.

 |bleh.

 Yeah, you and me both. You can't imagine how long this took to track
 down. Sun should be shot for passing this problem up to the
 application level.

 |I'll leave the PR open though, maybe someone else feels differently.

 Thanks.

 Jay Soffian <jay@cimedia.com>                       UNIX Systems Administrator
 404.572.1941                                             Cox Interactive Media