www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: os-solaris/2834: Seeing lots of[Wed Aug 12 02:41:56 1998] access to /index_layout.html failed for 172.16.20.2, reason: stat: Stale NFS file handle (errno = 151) in error log
Date Wed, 19 Aug 1998 18:20:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-solaris/2834; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
To: Jay Soffian <jay@cimedia.com>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: os-solaris/2834: Seeing lots of[Wed Aug 12 02:41:56 1998] access to /index_layout.html
failed for 172.16.20.2, reason: stat: Stale NFS file handle (errno = 151) in error log
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 11:16:50 -0700 (PDT)

 On 12 Aug 1998, Jay Soffian wrote:

 >           errno = 0;
 >           rv = stat(path, &r->finfo);
 > +       if (rv < 0 && errno == ESTALE)  /* workaround for Stale NFS Filehandle
problem */
 > +             rv = stat(path, &r->finfo); /* with Solaris's rnode cache */

 But what do you do about this problem when it occurs in a 3rd party
 library that you don't have source for?  Such as libc?  Sorry this is a
 kernel bug, the hack above fixes it for only one single case.  I don't see
 the point in fixing it for the one case when there are potentially dozens
 of others that could be broken.  You should complain to your solaris rep.

 I'd be more sympathetic if EINTR were one of the posix errors for stat()
 -- at least then there would be precedence for having to retry a stat. But
 it isn't... (and I don't see ESTALE documented on the solaris man page
 either).

 bleh.

 I'll leave the PR open though, maybe someone else feels differently.

 Dean