www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From George Westlund <gwest...@calpoly.edu>
Subject general/2878: apachectl sometimes falsely reports that the server is running when trying to start
Date Wed, 19 Aug 1998 16:51:55 GMT

>Number:         2878
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       apachectl sometimes falsely reports that the server is running when trying
to start
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I stop the server to cycle the logs nightly at midnight using apachectl.
Three times in the past two months the server has failed to start,
indicating that it is still running as indicated in the log output below:

Sat Jul  4 00:00:00 PDT 1998: Stop Server for Log Move.
/usr/local/etc/apache/sbin/apachectl stop: httpd stopped

Sat Jul  4 00:00:03 PDT 1998: Restart Server.
/usr/local/etc/apache/sbin/apachectl start: httpd (pid 4466) already running

In each case the server was found not to be running latter in the morning.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Until a fix is issued, I'm going to change the line

PS=`ps -p $PID 2>/dev/null | tail -1 | grep $PID`

PS=`ps -p $PID 2>/dev/null | tail -1 | grep "$PID.*httpd"`

as indicated in one of the messages found searching the database.