www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: os-osf/2865: [error] (35)Operation would block: couldn't spawn child process: /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/Count.cgi
Date Wed, 19 Aug 1998 08:10:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-osf/2865; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Trace Pupke <pupket@cofc.edu>
Cc: apbugs@Apache.Org
Subject: Re: os-osf/2865: [error] (35)Operation would block: couldn't spawn
 child process: /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/Count.cgi
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 23:25:52 -0700 (PDT)

 On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Trace Pupke wrote:

 > At 03:32 PM 8/18/98 , Marc Slemko wrote:
 > >On 18 Aug 1998, Trace Pupke wrote:
 > >
 > >> OSF1 V3.2 148 alpha
 > >> Starts happening after the server is started and about 10-20 cgi scripts
 > >> have been executed. Then all after that I get the error above.
 > >>
 > >> Checked the ulimit, it's set to unlimited.
 > >>
 > >> The only way I can keep it under control is to have in the crontab to
 > >> restart the server every five minutes. But it still happens in between.
 > >
 > >This really looks like some problem with your OS, since it happens with
 > >NCSA too.  Can you verify if this is related to the number of scripts
 > >being executed at one time, or if it will happen after 10-20 scripts are
 > >run even if there is only one running at any time?
 >
 > The only thing I can verify is that after restarting the server the scripts
 > work for a short time then stop working until the server restarts again.
 >
 > I've noticed this message on the System messages:
 >                 vmunix: fork/procdup: task_create failed. Code: 0x11

 This really looks like your OS is having some problem.  You should be sure
 you have all the latest patches installed for you OS and contact your
 vendor to see if they can help.

 This is really looking like an OS problem, and there isn't much we can do
 to track it down.