www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Christopher Kriese <chj...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: general/2869: Download archives corrupt?
Date Wed, 19 Aug 1998 08:05:07 GMT
I realized the problem.  Despite the name on the HTML page (usually
*_tar.Z or *_tar.gz), when the files come down to the NT machine, they
end as "_tar.tar", but in reality they should be "*_tar.gz"

If you rename the file (as "*_tar.gz") then gunzip can properly unzip
the file and then you can rename the file again so that it doesn't end
with "_tar", but with ".tar"

This allows "tar -xf" to work properly.