www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Kevin Goddard <drad...@draddog.com>
Subject Re: general/2823: Httpd spawned process consume memory
Date Tue, 11 Aug 1998 11:50:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/2823; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kevin Goddard <draddog@draddog.com>
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: general/2823: Httpd spawned process consume memory
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 07:45:53 -0400 (EDT)

 > Is there anything in the error log?
 Nothing unusual.  A lot of:
 " [error] request failed for *.*.*.*: error reading the headers"
 Where the *.*.*.* seems to be different IP Addresses.

 > Do you have any extra modules compiled in?
 Just rewrite, which did remind me that I did add some new rewrite stuff
 the day this started happening.  I have had problems with rewrite before,
 so I have removed the new code to see what happens.

 > Can you find anything in the access log that looks unusual?
 A lot of 400 return codes, but they are spread out over other IP space.

 > Exactly what patch is this?  Are you sure it was applied
 > correctly and you are running the new binary?
 To be honest I am not sure, my friend put it in.  Here is some of the code
 I know he implemented:
         if(++nheaders >=10) {
             r->status = HTTP_BAD_REQUEST;
             return;
         }
 He said something about a "bug" that was found in all versions of apache
 where you could cause httpd to get really huge be sending it a bunch of
 headers.

 > Does it continue to grow, or does it stabalize at a particular
 > size?
 They continue to grow until my safe guard kicks in and shuts httpd off.  I
 can also kill the offending process with no problem.

 Thanks for you help, if you have any ideas I would appreciate it.  I will
 keep an eye on the processes now that I have removed the rewrite code and
 I will let you know if that seems to fix it.
 Thanks
 Kevin