www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: general/2823: Httpd spawned process consume memory
Date Tue, 11 Aug 1998 08:00:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/2823; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Kevin Goddard <draddog@draddog.com>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: general/2823: Httpd spawned process consume memory
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 00:55:16 -0700 (PDT)

 On 11 Aug 1998, Kevin Goddard wrote:

 > problem, now all of a sudden, it is acting funny.  I have tried
 > everything I know, and am out of ideas.  The httpd server runs fine,
 > but one or two of the httpd spawn processes will start to consume
 > memory.  This causes the load on the server to sky rocket.  I have

 Is there anything in the error log?

 Do you have any extra modules compiled in?

 Can you find anything in the access log that looks unusual?

 > some safe guards set to shut httpd when the load gets to high, and
 > then turn it back on when the load gets low enough, but this is
 > happening every 5 minutes.  I have been able to confirm that it has
 > something to do with one virtual site on the server.  I have turned
 > everything off (mSQLd, sendmail, perl) and still it happens. Another
 > guy I know showed me a latest apache exploit that had something to do
 > with the httpd_protocol.c file, but he applied the patch for it, and

 Exactly what patch is this?  Are you sure it was applied
 correctly and you are running the new binary?

 > Here is a line from top that shows the problem:
 > 10023 nobody     8 -20 19084  11M   352 R <     0  6.8 12.6   1:46 httpd

 Does it continue to grow, or does it stabalize at a particular
 size?