www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Kevin Goddard <drad...@draddog.com>
Subject general/2823: Httpd spawned process consume memory
Date Tue, 11 Aug 1998 03:35:53 GMT

>Number:         2823
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Httpd spawned process consume memory
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        1.2.0
>Environment:
Linux dragon.*.com 2.0.31 #1 Sun Nov 9 21:45:23 EST 1997 i586 unknown
Server version: Apache/1.3.0 (Unix)
Server built:   Aug 10 1998 12:56:17

I have been running 1.3.0 for about two months without a problem, now all of a sudden, it
is acting funny.  I have tried everything I know, and am out of ideas.  The httpd server runs
fine, but one or two of the httpd spawn processes will start to consume memory.  This causes
the load on the server to sky rocket.  I have some safe guards set to shut httpd when the
load gets to high, and then turn it back on when the load gets low enough, but this is happening
every 5 minutes.  I have been able to confirm that it has something to do with one virtual
site on the server.  I have turned everything off (mSQLd, sendmail, perl) and still it happens.
Another guy I know showed me a latest apache exploit that had something to do with the httpd_protocol.c
file, but he applied the patch for it, and the problem still exists.  Because the site is
so busy, I was using some of the settings from the High Performance file:
MaxClients 25
StartServers 5
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 10
MaxRequestsPerChild 10000000
Here is a line from top that shows the problem:
10023 nobody     8 -20 19084  11M   352 R <     0  6.8 12.6   1:46 httpd
I have it niced to -20 so I can still use the server while it is over flowing the system and
shut it down
Any ideas?