www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Chris Hardie <ch...@summersault.com>
Subject suexec/2815: suexec isn't recognized by httpd
Date Sat, 08 Aug 1998 20:51:24 GMT

>Number:         2815
>Category:       suexec
>Synopsis:       suexec isn't recognized by httpd
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I wanted to install suexec.  I had installed Apache 1.3b5 using FreeBSD's pkg_add and so didn't

have easy access to the source code for suexec.  I decided to upgrade to 1.3.1 and downloaded
the source code.  The server compiled fine (using apaci and the appropriate --enable-suexec
commands)
and installed without error messages.  However, when I try to start the new httpd (using apachectl
or
doing it manually) it just doens't start.  No error message, nothing in the log file, no configuration
file error.  Apachectl just says "httpd could not be started."
So I decided to just try using the new suexec code with the old server (though any help on
that startup
problem would be much appreciated).  I recompiled the suexec binary using the new server paths
and all
that, and installed it in /sbin/suexec with the proper chmod 4711, etc.  However, when Apache
(this is 1.3b5
now, remember) it warns me that my "User" and "Group" directives in my virtual host entries
require an
SUEXEC wrapper, as if suexec didn't exist.

Problem 1: httpd (1.3.1) won't start, and I have no apparent means of error tracking
Problem 2: httpd (1.3b5) won't recognize suexec