www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Patrick Linstruth <patr...@qnet.com>
Subject config/2777: unable to open a file descriptor above 15, you may need to increase the number of descriptors
Date Tue, 04 Aug 1998 16:22:45 GMT

>Number:         2777
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       unable to open a file descriptor above 15, you may need to increase the
number of descriptors
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        1.3.1
>Environment:
BSD/OS koto.qnet.com 3.1 BSDI BSD/OS 3.1 Kernel #0: Fri Jul  3 09:06:58 PDT 1998
     patrick@koto.qnet.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/QNET  i386

Apache 1.3.1

When running Apache 1.3.1, I get the following error message:

[Tue Aug  4 07:28:31 1998] [warn] (24)Too many open files: unable to open a file
 descriptor above 15, you may need to increase the number of descriptors
fopen: Too many open files
httpd: could not open error log file /var/log/httpd/city.palmdale.ca.us/error_lo
g.

I do not get this error message when using Apache 1.2.4 with the same configuration files
on the same server.  I've seen other reports of this on Usenet under Solaris.

I've done all the checking I can do, and everything I look at claims that the per-process
file descriptor limit is 128.  I have about 150 virutal hosts under the configuration.

Any help would be appreciated.

Patrick
>How-To-Repeat:
This happens during start-up.  If you would like access to our server, we can make arrangements.
>Fix:
Sorry...  The only thing I can think of is either getrlimit or setrlimit aren't work as expected.